MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2015 11:59 PM  #1

declining participation at club shoots?

This past weekend we had a club match, club has about 100 members and we had 12 people shoot.  It has been like this all year, almost 50% less than say two / three years ago.  I had several other club officers discuss this with me.  The problem with getting an answer to the question, is getting the members that are not participating to tell us what we can do to bring them back to shoots.  Many of my friends that I have talked to that are not as active, due to family and work.  I'm thinking of putting a survey in the newsletter, I've tried this in the past and not received any responses.  Maybe this time we ask better questions?  Anyone have any thoughts / advice?

I know this is a common issue these days - hoping to try and turn this around, at least a little.  On a very positive note, we had our fist Junior shooter at a regular club match in last three years.  You can bet that and the picture of the young lady and her Grandfather will be in the newsletter.

Parkawood -

8/11/2015 8:21 AM  #2

Re: declining participation at club shoots?

"I feel your pain"
I am the president of the local sportsmans club.
We have 2200 members.
The vast majority of people today just want a place to hang a target and blast away.
They couldn't care less about events, meetings, or how/when any work and repairs are done.
Our events all have a core group that show up to help, shoot, and enjoy the day.
But getting new members involved is like brushing hen's teeth.

I tried the survey idea...
It has been in every newsletter for 2 years now (12 issues).
I have about 50 that have been returned (12 issues times 2200 members, equals 26,400 possible).
That tells me that all the majority want is to pay their money and blast the backstops into oblivion.

The saving grace...
My focus since day one has been the youth.
I required youth programs in all the shooting disciplines.
I started a youth indoor air rifle program that has grown beyond my wildest dreams.
All juniors participate for free and most of the time get free ammo.
The club now has more juniors using the grounds in any one week than they have had in whole years previously.
It has not been an easy road and there are still some that just want to get rid of these programs.
I have been told, to my face..."we don't want kids here, they just get in the way".
My response was... "aren't you glad that they didn't tell you that when you were 12 years old?".

Our future is in the youth.
Concentrate on them and your events will get bigger and better.
Nothing brightens your day more than watching one of your junior shooters take the center out of the target.
I don't know whos smile is bigger, theirs or mine.

Sorry for the long post but this is an issue that fires me up.
Thanks for listening,
Dave

Every mighty oak was once a little nut who held its ground.

8/11/2015 5:18 PM  #3

Our clubs are suffering the same. Dave I totally agree with you on the youth.
As far as the lets say older members not showing up for shoots or events. I feel it is just a result of the type of world and times we live in. Most people are just to busy keeping up with all the fast tract life we now live in.

8/17/2015 7:19 PM  #4

It is a shame that we just don't have the participation we had years ago at the local level. I belong to a small club and at one time we would be getting upwards of 14 to 17 shooters at our bimonthly matches, (Not bad for a population base of 1100, and way out in the middle of nowhere - so to speak).

We dwindled down to 12, then 8, then 6, then 4 & 3... Now who knows how many will show up for the Fall, Winter, and Spring gong shoots. We kind od thought going to gongs as reactive feed back would stimulate some interest, but sadly it hasn't.

Hate to say it, but I personally feel the computer age has finally taken our youths outdoor gaming/shooting away from us. I think we're feeling the effects of the 80's technology, and I see no solution to this at this point.

Don't know about back east, but out west here the good ol' Rondy's are shrinking pretty fast as well these days.

I think something grand has to come along and capture not only our youths interest, but the interest of the adult population where they say,,, hey, I'd like to get into that, this old muzzle loading sport/hobby. What that might be, I just don't have a clue...

Joe

8/17/2015 8:07 PM  #5

Don't feel lonesome, every club and youth related organization is having the same problem. What's the answer, I don't know. We have tried a multitude of programs to no avail just like the rest of you. In our case even the adult shooters have dwindled to no more than a few. But don't give up trying, it's to great a sport and tradition to let it go down the tube without a second effort. If we can win a few kids back, others will follow.
Mark

8/18/2015 10:33 AM  #6

A friend in the MDC (Missouri Department of Conservation) related a story our state black powder association about how when the movie "Hunger Games" came out there was a spike in interest in archery not only with Juniors but also adults. 

I recall as a youth the movies "Jeremiah Johnson" & "The Mountain Man" seamed to spark interest in Black Powder / Rendezvous.  There is new movie due to release December 2015 "The Revenant" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYiT-vLjhC4

Above is a link to the movie trailer - "Legendary trapper Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio) withstands a brutal bear attack, but is left for dead by members of his own hunting team. Betrayed by his confidant John Fitzgerald (Tom Hardy), Glass endures unimaginable hardships as he navigates a vicious winter in a relentless quest to live and find redemption. Determined to make it home to his family, Glass must use sheer will to survive against all odds"

While I'm not a huge fan of Leonardo - the movie looks to be pretty good and it might spark some interest.  However, it may be a short lived boost that will pass with the wind.  Thank you to everyone that has posted on this thread, it has given me some things to think about.  I'm going to do everything I can keep this sport going as long as I can.

On a side note I recall when the showed the Mountain Man - we all went in dressed out in buckskins - I'm just guessing that's not such a good idea for this new film!

Parkawood -

8/18/2015 11:14 AM  #7

Perhaps the Revenant movie will spawn some interest. We all surely hope so. I think Leonardo DiCaprio is still a favorite of the younger generation.

If he can help us do this;

Then maybe we'll see more folks (young and old and all in between) on the firing line.

The above picture is my son and myself at one of the Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous. He was about 9 years old when this was taken, now he's in his 2nd year of college. Sure do miss him when he's off to the house of knowledge.

Last edited by Candle Snuffer (8/18/2015 11:15 AM)

Joe

8/18/2015 12:37 PM  #8

I know the feeling, for me my High School, College and first 15 years in the work force after College were very slim for shooting.  For about 20 years there, I was at the most shooting once a year.  I think that is why now I'm going at it so hard to make up for lost time.  Nice picture of you and your son!

Parkawood -

8/18/2015 4:25 PM  #9

We are constantly trying to find ways to get new shooters at our events and we should continue to. But I personally think that clubs should consirder letting current members use peep sights in all matches at our events. I believe this will allow some of current members to keep shooting a little longer. Don't want to start a pissing contest here but it would allow some shooters to pertipicate a little longer. And no they wouldn't have any unfair advantage over any shooter with good eyes and open sights. And if you do believe its not fair that put a set on your rifle.  But atleast think about it with an open mind. I mean really what could it hurt. And I am done.

8/18/2015 5:06 PM  #10

One of my Clubs Ft. Osage Muzzleloaders made the move to any metallic sights about 3 years ago.  For the most part - all the die hard shooters are still shooting open sights, some of the older shooters are shooting peep sights.  We for as long as I know have always had a class system for rifle A (130+), B (90 - 129) & C (0-89).  You would think this would help bring in a decent percentage of shooters, club has about 100 members and March we had 19 shooters, April we had 7, May and June were big 3 day shoots, then July we had 8 & August we had 9.  That is an average of a little over 10 shooters (10% of the club).

I completely agree as do many of the members of our club - Open vs Peep - you still have to hold and shoot the gun.  Also, if we 60 plus shooters at a monthly shoot consistently we could always split the classes up further if there was a need for it.

Parkawood -

8/19/2015 3:32 PM  #11

I have been watching this thread, and given a lot of thought for three or four years have been done about everything I can think of to try to keep the aging shooter online with some minor success, I think what really bothers me is the lack of people under the age of 40 involved with our sport. Even more disturbing than that is the almost void gap of people between 18 and 35.

Mostly prior to 18 years old, Parents will tend to support the habit and I do understand because (I walked this road) of not really having the money to be competitive until just about the time we are old enough to have the money and eyes start going bad and your joints start to ache. I was talking with a friend the other night and he brought up a conversation that we had been involved in with other folks a particular club was allowing a person to come on their first visit and bring whatever muzzleloader they had, traditional or in-line whatever they had just to get them through the gates and that work with them to bring them in line with the club's mission. I'm wondering if this is not an idea that should be pursued that should stir up a sufficient Hornets nest.

I know that most of us on this particular form are very proud of the fine rifles that we possess, with good cause. However, sometimes I wonder that when new people do come to our club. If they don't become somewhat intimidated by all the work that we put in making a rifles look nice and or making them particularly accurate. I remember when I first started shooting over the log. I simply knew that I didn't have anything in my arsenal of front stuffers that would compete. I was fortunate enough to fall in with a group that understood that I shot a borrowed gun for the first 2+ years, but all in all, I am still not quite sure how to get even the membership that are clubs currently have to the range. This is not just a problem being experienced in the muzzle loading sport, fraternal organizations are experiencing the same lack of membership growth and membership participation. So if somebody gets is figured out. Please post it. I am really interested in a good answer.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

8/19/2015 5:44 PM  #12

Just an observation Robin, but the modern inline (that has taken off in the hunting world) has been around since the 80's and those that shoot them, which are many, to my knowledge have had ample time to form in to some kind of specialty modern muzzle loading shooting/competition groups and I have not seen this happen as yet (at least in my known areas of the west). I expect at Friendship some turn out to shoot in the modern inline matches, but I do believe that most who shoot them are not interested in shooting matches but rather extending their hunting season from the centerfire season. I just don't see these inline folks filling the void or they would have done it by now IMHO. 

Joe

8/20/2015 11:54 AM  #13

I think your observation is laudable, Joe once in a while I do seem to get one of the in-line guys to please come take a look at us and once in a great while I can get him to shoot. However, as I drew from your statement there interested in hitting a 6 inch circle of 75 yards, most of us are interested in meeting our last shot, even if it's only by thousands of an inch. I don't think they'll fill the void, but even the biggest hole is filled one shovelful of time.

I know today's world. Seems to be surrounded by social media and I do see a fair amount of muzzle loading social media sites. And I believe that's a great communication route for those of us who are already involved, but I don't really see new people being drawn in by it.

I know at least at our shoots the shoot is just one portion of the day. We usually have a very nice meal and fellowship time. I really wish I knew the answer to the problem. I don't know about the rest of the club's but somehow I don't think that at least here in the Midwest that we really do a good enough job of advertising. With that being said advertising is not cheap. And when you're only getting, a very small group of people. It's hard to raise the funds to advertise with.

I have even given some thought to a Father, Mother, Grandparent, and Youth, type shoot not even requiring the elder person and the youth to be related. But that's just thinking out loud and knowing that if we don't try something, nothing will get done. So when somebody finds a magic bean. Please let me know.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

8/21/2015 7:21 AM  #14

Here is an idea I've thought for a long time should have been pursued... Media Coverage...

I doubt there is enough funds floating around that this could be done through television, but a "You Tube Channel" dedicated strictly to traditional muzzle loading with new videos each month would eventually catch some eyes if this "You Tube Channel" was promoted.

Level the playing field would help a lot for those that stay at home with the additude they can't compete with the bullseye shooters. How do we do this?

Make it interesting, shoot reactive targets such as - gongs, hanging clays, and whatever else one can come up with, and always push the traditional side of muzzle loading.

Work shop vids, best buy on traditional related items vids, tutatorial how to vids, heavey on the shooting vids with both target and hunting vids.

This is only a small beginning step to grab and build some interest with traditional muzzle loading,

Build and promote six shooting classifications and cover them all;

Traditional Muzzle Loading

Flintlock (iron sights - no peeps or shaders)
Percussion (iron sights - no peeps or shaders)

Flintlock (AMS - any combination of iron sights w/ or w/o shaders)
Percussion (AMS - any combination of iron sights w/ or w/o shaders)

(I leave the Smoothbore shooter's to class the following)
Flintlock Smoothbore
Percussion Smoothbore

In short (IMHO)
You can't build or recover traditional interest in this sport unless you promote it through some form of media. Right now a Youtube channel is about the only avenue because of monitary costs.

Thowing this out there in hopes it will help.

Last edited by Candle Snuffer (8/21/2015 9:40 PM)

Joe

8/22/2015 10:45 AM  #15

The YouTube channel is a great idea, but it would take real hours by some devoted volunteers.  I'd like to see it happen but I have no hours to contribute.

Actually, this site is a giant step in the right direction.  Publicizing this site better might be a big help.

Something I've noted and often pointed out since I first became invloved in organized shooting is that the necessary information a beginner needs is daunting and a barrier to entry.  These observations were originally in regard to High Power Rifle competition but I think it is just as apt to muzzleloading disciplines.  In High Power most participants have been at it a long time and most new adult participants already have been oriented to it by military service or by subsidized youth training programs.  For a person to just show up at a range and take up the discipline is nearly impossible.

Now that I'm becoming interested in muzzleloading events I'm finding the same challenges.  Even if you spend a couple of days at Friendship it is difficult to get the different events, categories and disciplines straight in your head.  If you decide to get into one of them from a cold start you have to acquire a fortune in equipment (fortune being relative, but a significant expenditure compared to staying home and watching TV) without having a good basis for choosing,

I think the key to participation in all of the shooting sports is well publicized beginners clinics, classes, mentorship programs and etc., that bring >individuals< enough attention, instruction and coaching to feel confident devoting time and money to the pursuit.

Getting back to muzzleloading specifically, I've got to say there does not seem to be much basic guidance published to help a newbie sort out the different disciplines and understand what equipment (and even clothing!) is required to participate.  That is what brought me to this site, and this site was not particularly easy to stumble across.

I am:  In Over My Head

9/09/2015 2:05 PM  #16

Our NMLRA chartered club is a small part of a 3,500 member gun club which holds all manner of competition for modern firearms.  We have been growing again in the last couple of years by working at getting other gun club shooters to try black powder shooting as well as working with youth groups, including the Scouts.  We always have people stopping at the BP range to watch us do our twice monthly shoots.  Additionally, since many of us are retired (Hey, it's Florida) some of us do most of our shooting during the week.  We try hard to get anyone that isn't a BP shooter to take a few shots, or even shoot a lot, while they're there.  We always try to have a few extra guns available for them to use, or failing that they use our guns and we just instruct.  Well, it's starting to bring some new shooters to our club.

The biggest problem these new shooters encounter is the cost to get started.  While there were many entry level traditional style muzzle loaders being made 20 years ago, that isn't the case now.  We try to locate some of these safe but serviceable old guns that they can buy.  In the mean time, they can come on out and use one of our guns when we shoot.  We have been gaining members with this approach rather than setting up tables at the local gun shows.  I've had little success getting people interested in trying BP when manning a table for the NMLRA at gun shows.  Unfortunately, at least in this area, most people that come to the gun shows are the ammo, camo, and AR crowd.

I didn't intend to run on so much, but I thought I'd pass along what has worked for us.

Don  

Last edited by MoleEyes (9/09/2015 2:06 PM)

NMLRA Field Rep Coordinator 
Region 3 (Southeastern States)

3/02/2016 5:49 PM  #17

Clubs can offer:

FREE SHOOTS
Would you like to shoot a firearm your Forefathers used?
Would you like to see some beautiful muzzleloading rifles?

[url=https://www.google.com/search?q=Jerimiah+Johnson&nfpr=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCnIjkh6PLAhUGNiYKHZ4rAEkQvgUIGygB]Are you thinking about buying a traditional muzzleloading rifle?
Would you like some professional instruction on how to properly load and zero a blackpowder rifle?
Would you like to meet some interesting people?
Would you like to receive safety instructions on the safe handling of firearms?

If your answer is YES to any of the above questions then come on out to our range at (date/time/location) and spend a couple of hours with our professional instructors!
No charge for use of our range and we furnish all equipment required![/url]

Last edited by Sharpsman (3/02/2016 5:57 PM)

USMC: Giving Enemies of America a chance to die for their country since 1775!

SEMPER FI!

3/02/2016 5:58 PM  #18

System will not let me fix Link showing up that should not be there!

USMC: Giving Enemies of America a chance to die for their country since 1775!

SEMPER FI!

3/02/2016 7:42 PM  #19

Its going to take me a lot of time, it won't happen over night, but I'm in the process of shooting some video to make an intro section for further videos I'll make and put on YouTube. I had planned on making a YouTube channel specifically for NMLRA Competitive Pistol. An effort to build numbers on the pistol line in Friendship. The channel would cover everything so a newbie could become informed and help them make decisions on how to start what to buy what to shoot and how to shoot. 

When I'm practicing at my local range guys are always coming up and saying "Wow cool gun! It's like a Ruger  or something but a muzzleloader! That's crazy!" Then I let them shoot it and even though they enjoy it they have no drive to get into the sport enough to go to Friendship. And we're only five hours away from Friendship. 

"The first step in finding your game is getting some conviction. If you don’t have conviction your confidence can be corroded."  -  From The Movie "Seven Days In Utopia".

3/03/2016 7:36 AM  #20

MoleEyes and I shoot together at Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club in Palm Bay (Brevard County) Florida.
It's a large private club, complete with electronic locked gates and a gate guard on the weekends.
I mention all that to reinforce his point, and what Sharpsman is saying. Sharpsman sort of "codified" the ideas MoleEyes wrote, about how we try to get folks interested. We have 2 organized ( and I use that term VERY loosely) Black Powder shoots each month. On those days Non-Members wishing to access our range only need inform the guard that they are there for the BP shoot. That helps get non-members to come by and give it a try. More importantly, we encourage our fellow club members to come by as well on those days to take a look and give it a try. Like Sharpsman suggests..we make it real clear that they only need to show some interest and if they do, somebody will put a muzzleloader in their hands and provide all the instruction required to get them safely shooting.
When I talk to some of these "newbies", in my attempt to get them interested...I am often asked a question something like: "Do I have to shoot in a match to participate...??
Newbies don't want to feel like they have to compete from Day One. We do offer some fun matches for folks who enjoy competition, but NOBODY has to enter if they prefer to just shoot practice...and enjoy the day with their rifle or pistol shooting at whatever range or target type they prefer.
Reactive targets....GREAT way to get more interest. We have recently installed a set of mounts which allow us to hang metal gong targets from 25 out to 100 yds. We're going to have our first "Gong Match" next weekend.
I wish I had something to say about getting more younger folks interested. Our aging demographic is the greatest threat we face. Certainly, making rule changes within the various existing disciplines, even developing new disciplines such as Table Shooting to accommodate older shooters is helping keep our numbers up, but it's not bringing the new younger ones in we need to have to remain viable in the long term.

3/03/2016 7:49 AM  #21

Declining participation is common to every organization these days. What is the answer, that's like the chicken and the egg question. Expendable income and lack of "proper" or adequate equipment and time is one concern of the younger (18-30) group, lack of interest due to changing school curriculum regarding history is another. We try to find things and programs within our club that don't require expensive equipment or a lot of time and put those things in front of the young people we feel are good candidates. Is there an ultimate answer, I wish I knew.
Mark

3/14/2016 12:22 AM  #22

my big club is having the same problem. around 100 member and 75% are over 65  .the kids I know sort of shoot .want to go shooting with dad put a 30 round clip in the m16 or 22 semi auto and then just pull the trigger as fast as they can no aiming.computer gaming has flat pucked up 4 generations of kids for doing anything .shooting muzzle loaders is slow and requires lots of  practice .now try flint.kids don't want nothing to do with it. no instant gratification  or kool factor
dag

3/19/2016 3:06 PM  #23

Sirs, I have joined this site today purely because of the  topic of "declining membership" in black powder shooting. Here in New Zealand we have the same problems that you are having and it looked as though things were pretty hopeless. I have been shooting Black Powder for over ten years now  and have for the past two years been organising  day shoots about 3 or 4 a year. In the beginning I was well aware that I /we were tackling a problem that we could fail in. However I decided to do a bit of homework before our first shoot; I wanted to know how many professional shooters there were in our area, how many real good shooters we had and how many "fun" shooters there were......funnily enough we had a majority of "fun" shooters  governed by professional and real good shooters (a minority ruling a majority). Then I took a look at the shoots held around the area and found they were all paper target shoots great for the professional and good shooters but in no way catering for the majority. I also found with respect  that those who did the most of the complaining as to the lack of shooters turning up were naturally the top shooters. I decided to reverse the situation. My first day shoot was a "Freebie" with a free lunch supported by my club. I sent out flyers and emails to all the members and those out of town I knew asking them to email me if they were coming which they did.I was blown away by the turnout and divided the shooters into 3 teams A, B, C.  A team being the best shot amongst themselves challenging each other B medium shooters had their fun and C learners we had fun watching them. individual points were accumulated doing the day for each shoot and at the end of the day top point scorers in each of the teams (1st, 2nd,and 3rd ) got prizes. In the C grade event most top scorers had never won a shooting prize and they were as happy as pig in mud.  It was a total winning shoot and we have repeated this style of shoot many times and remarkably we are now at the point where for safety reasons we have to limit those attending. We use NO paper targets at al except for a "shoot off"l. Silhouette gongs and goats and pigs are used , 5 playing cards at 25 yards we make schutzen style targets etc.The best thing is our once declining membership has increased and continues to....a sport that was dying is now back.....try it cater for the fun shooters and they bring their kids along . Any questions?? Hookie  

3/19/2016 3:21 PM  #24

Howdy Hookie....  Way to go.  For pure fun I like silhouette gongs .  The bad thing about some paper shoots is the top guys win all the prizes.  I know they deserved them,  but it does keep many average guys from participating.  The trick is to have something for the plinkers who come just for the camaraderie. It looks like you have fun for all.

slacker

3/19/2016 3:42 PM  #25

Air rifle/air pistol silhouette seemed to be helping in a club I left behind when I moved a couple of years back. It was open to anyone, and we had loaner guns available at shoots. It really helped that there was one club member who poured his heart into it and was a long-time airgunner. I think it helps to get folks to slow down and focus on accuracy rather than rate of fire and maximum noise.

As to having lots of classes, my first club, still going strong (muzzleloaders only) dumped all the various classes. No separation between flint/perc, smooth/rifled, type of iron sight, men/women/children. All were welcome, shoot what ya brung. I noticed that the two guys who did consistently better than the rest of us both shot flint and one a smoothbore most of the time. I started to ask them questions, and it turned me into a flintlock shooter. As I became geezerish, I started fiddling with perc underhammers in chunk and bench and trap.

I don!t know what works best, but it seems to take people dedicated to continually putting it out before the public. Sadly, I think a lot of the muzzleloading boom came from the bicentennial and a handfull of movies sparking interest in people who grew upwatching Fess Parker on TV. Now most of us are old or dead.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

4/03/2016 4:53 PM  #26

Hi kermit , I cant offer any real suggestions  or reasons but suffice to say the  club i belonged to went from the strongest in New Zealand  ( on our best day had  130 shot gun shooters in the trap line ) to 2 shooters at most on an ordinary day then the club folded ..Now I pay to shoot at the handgun metallic silhouette club where there are about 8  ml shooters active but those shooters hold a prize shoot every three months we put on a hot cooked  lunch and award pretty good prizes and charge about $20 entry we have an average of 36 shooters who fire around 30 shots on the day and some travel as far as 350 miles to attend ..  the shoots are all offhand with little restrictions on sights but all must be iron , no glass any caliber or ml rifle .. At first they all shot to gether as had been done at all shoots in the past but after the first shoot I suggested that as the same 1/2 dozen guys always won the prizes  we should grade them which we have done by keeping a record of all scores and they now shoot in groups so that shooters in each group are shooting against others of about the same ability this spreads the prizes over a wider selection of those present and we give out prizes in the  3 groups (grades the shooters have not caught on yet that they are really being graded ) down to 3rd place with always a small gift ( ususlly chocolate) to everyone who attends .. We are getting some new faces some who have not shot for years and we make about $300 per shoot .. probably not a lot of help but it seems to be working for us .. Rob

Last edited by oldtrobh (4/03/2016 4:54 PM)

8/08/2016 11:29 AM  #27

At our club we are going to try something new this weekend.  It's all paper and we have three established classes, A B & C.  1, 2 & 3 in each of the 4 matches and the overall agg.  To spice things up we are going to pair final scores at the end to have a club team pair winner.  The pairs will be the bottom and top shooters, then work in from there.  Hopefully we get this though the meeting and give it a trial run.  Plan to make a big deal out of it in the club newsletter and see if we can bring out some more folks.  I'll keep you all posted.

Parkawood -

8/14/2016 11:32 AM  #28

These days my observation is most club members don't want to or are afraid to compete.  Local club has a shoot every Wednesday night during the warm months when I joined 20 years ago there would be 20+ plus shooters now there is 6.  Most of them won't compete at the state level with the WMLA.  And those shoots have fewer participants every year.

As far as the youth are concerned most of them want immediate gratification, can't be separated from their phones and are always bored no matter where they are.  At the last team match someone brought their grandson to the state match and all he did was play with his phone.  More than one attempt was made to draw him out but was wasted effort.

Sorry to sound negative but in the last 20 years fewer clubs and shooters.

9/13/2016 8:06 PM  #29

One of our biggest problems is the number of different shooting sports at our club. No matter what day we try to hold a muzzle loading match it overlaps with several other events. Many of our old shooters are now shooting lever action long range, cowboy action shooting , black powder cartridge, small bore lever, etc. To many different types of shoot and not enough weekends. We did start shooting the half size IHMSA silhouettes with traditional offhand rifles a couple of years ago and have a fair turnout. Everyone seems to like the instant gratification of falling steel.

9/14/2016 7:22 AM  #30

Mulemauler, sounds like an impressive club.  I would agree to many events spreds people thin.  We have a similar problem in the Kansas City, MO area -  three major clubs (2) Blackpowder muzzleloader only and a modern club.  It's hard to find a free weekend.  On top of that a good number of our shooters travel around the state & region for different types of shooting.

Parkawood -

Board footera