MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2015 9:34 AM  #1

trigger guard

I have a copy of a H & A underhammer that has this huge main spring trigger guard and I put a 40 cal barrel on it that I recently picked up. I need to fill in some space behind the main spring to get some kind of hand hold on the trigger end of the rifle while shooting. Looking at the rule 5430T-Table Rifle it says "of either traditional hunting or traditional target type, or as specified in the program" so if I modified an old muzle loader schuetzen type trigger and mounted that behind the main spring would that be OK with the rules?

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

6/15/2015 9:44 AM  #2

Re: trigger guard

Rich,
I use the same act ion as you and have found the same concern with the grip. You can mount a Schutzen type grip rail behind the main spring but be aware of the weight. Another type of rail you can use is a Hawken style grip rail. Cut off the trigger bow and mount the grip rail. One screw will hold the rail and the forward extension can come up to the rear of the main spring. If you do either application make sure the action is at full cock when you attach it so it  doesn't interphere with the cocking after it is insatlled.
Mark

6/15/2015 11:10 AM  #3

Thanks for the quick reply no probem with the weight as of now it weighs about 10 1/2 with action, sights, and butt stock that is just roughed out I still need to mount a butt plate. Your tip on the one screw is a good idea as I have been thinking about how to get a screw in the front somewhere. I will have to cut this thing down quite a bit to make it work I'm now thinking that I could inlet the rear extension into the stock run a screw through that and maybe thin the front part down and mount under the main spring? Maybe one will be enough to hold it just fine?

RB

6/15/2015 1:03 PM  #4

If you slightly inlet the rear portion of the triger gaurd it will be less likely yo swivel if the single screw works loose. I don't think I would extend the gaurd under the main srpring as it may interphere with the bow and subsequent pressure. If you look at tthe Hawken trigger gaurd it sweeps upward from the grip rail to the trigger bow. That upswept portion should fit almost against the main spring about a third of the way up from the stock. Sounds like you are well underway, look forward to seeing the finished product.
Mark

6/15/2015 6:04 PM  #5

I saw a picture of an underhammer somewhere maybe yours with the Hawken trigger guard cut off and installed like that. That is a better looking arrangement than what I'm doing but I would have to make one or order one and I already have this old schuetzen guard. And I want to get this together enough to shoot the postal this month which is where I'm at now as I did get it mounted and plan on shooting some tomorrow if the rain holds off enough. I was able to get enough of the front of the trigger guard on the action and drilled and tapped that plus a screw through the rear so it very stable and feels solid.

RB

6/16/2015 8:52 AM  #6

Go for it Rich, sounds like you have a plan. Nothing is etched in stone and if it doesn't work out, try another approach. I'll look for your targets.
Mark

Board footera