MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/07/2015 7:08 PM  #1

Peep sights

I was wondering if most shooters hold there eye real close to the rear sight when using peeps? Or say a couple a couple of inches back?  Would like to hear form you on which method you prefer. I guess your eyes may have something or everything to do with this. I guess. Just curious?

6/08/2015 5:58 AM  #2

Re: Peep sights

I always figured that closer was better? I have crawled up close enough a few times to get bumped a little bit it wakes you up for sure and back off a little.

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

6/08/2015 7:29 AM  #3

Unlike Rich, I back off a little. Just like using a rifle scope, I back off until I get the best sight picture. Wether you back of 1", 4" or whatever, be consistent and use the same distance every time. A small stud, piece of tape etc on the comb will help keep your cheek weld and eye relief the same time after time.
Mark

6/08/2015 9:46 AM  #4

Mark that is what I try to do but it seems that on different days I have to readjust so to speak. I always thought that it was caused from different light conditions. Or with an adjustable rear diopter I can change it. The reason I brouht this question up is I have switched to a fixed poisitioned read sight. Trying to get as simple as I can. When I was trying to decide where to drill the holes for the rear sight I started second guessing where the correct place was? Lol

6/08/2015 11:35 AM  #5

Ken,
it sounds like an adjustable diopter may be the answer. You could try making several "fixed" rears and drilling different size holes. One may work better than another.
Mark

6/08/2015 12:16 PM  #6

Ken
I have my peep sight. A good distance in front of my eye. I know this doesn't work for everybody. I have my adjusted so that if I can see any part of the hood front sight. I'm not on the stock right . Mine is a fixed aperture and with the help of a friend. I slid it forward until I get this sight picture, I desired the new site. However, will be a long bar nine, using an adjustable aperture. Still no adjustment for windage, or elevation. It is more of an experiment than anything at this point. Good luck. Hope to see you in friendship.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

Board footera