MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/13/2015 4:08 PM  #1

Nipple Selection on Paul's Spidermatic Underhammer Chunk Barrels

Back when he shipped me my barrel, he told me to use a standard nipple but looking at the carbon it appears a standard nipple doesn't quite bottom out....maybe a 1/16" of open thread at the bottom.  Everyone just using an off-the-shelf nipple or buying one slightly longer and filing for exact fit???  Thanks.

3/13/2015 7:05 PM  #2

Re: Nipple Selection on Paul's Spidermatic Underhammer Chunk Barrels

A longer nipple may not work either. In fact probably wouldn't work. Without knowing what machine process he used or seeing it, it's hard to say what the fix is. My first thoughts would be to try a bottom tap in it to see if if the threads bottom out in the hole. But if he used a standard drill bit to drill it then that wouldn't help either due to radius at the bottom of hole. I am assuming that you are referrinqg to the nipple not bottoming  out in a blind hole. Other words the hole drilled for the threaded body of the nipple does not got through to the bore diameter?

3/13/2015 7:35 PM  #3

Correct, it's a 1.5" barrel drilled for a standard depth nipple (per Paul) so a blind hole.  Lots of meat between bottom of hole and bore.  Obviously I can't speak for exactly how he machined or drilled the hole, but threads definitely "touch bottom".  Pretty sure it wasn't with a normal drill bit though.....looks dead flat versus a radius.  Tried to measure depth versus length of the nipple, and it's less than 1/16".....but the nipple absolutely tightens against the outside of the barrel before bottoming out. 

Either way....it's likely a moot issue and I'm thinking too much...lol.

3/13/2015 8:29 PM  #4

You might try a longer nipple and if it goes into the bore, shim it out with a washer.
Mark

3/13/2015 8:50 PM  #5

The problem with a longer nipple is it will throw the alignment of the face of hammer and nipple off. Is it causing a fouling problem during a shoot?

Last edited by Ken (3/13/2015 9:02 PM)

3/13/2015 9:43 PM  #6

To use a longer nipple I'd have file it for sure so it still snugged up to the outside of the barrel.  The small gap hasn't posed any issues thus far, but the York Shoot will be this guns first trial.  I honestly havent had time to shoot a full practice round either.  Im lucky to have enough time to shoot a few shots now and then.  I don't think it'll affect anything but I make it a point to pull the nipple and clean that area well.  Corrosion from trapped fouling and powder in that small gap is probably the only realistic potential issue, but cleaning well after use will prevent that.

I just know alot of Paul's barrels are around and wondered if anyone else had noticed a similar issue.

3/13/2015 9:47 PM  #7

A variety of nipple lengths are available and will not affect the hammer alignment, in most cases. If the threads project into the bore, shim the nipple out and file the cone to match the hammer face. Do not file the threaded end of the nipple as it will enlarge the flash channel. You will get the same effect as a burned out nipple.
Mark

3/13/2015 10:16 PM  #8

smokinbuck wrote:

A variety of nipple lengths are available and will not affect the hammer alignment, in most cases. If the threads project into the bore, shim the nipple out and file the cone to match the hammer face. Do not file the threaded end of the nipple as it will enlarge the flash channel. You will get the same effect as a burned out nipple.
Mark

The threaded nipple hole doesn't extend to bore.  It's a blind hole machined into a 1/2" wall thickness with a pilot flash hole through the remainder to the bore.

3/13/2015 10:21 PM  #9

What I was referring to was if the longer nipple didn't go and further into the threaded hole then it would probably be taller so to speak and might cause alignment problems. Didn't mean to dispute what Mark said. Sorry

3/14/2015 5:23 AM  #10

Track of theWolf offers stainless nipples 1/4 X 28 with the shank 1/4 inch long also 5/16" long so you are saying that the 1/4 is too short and the 5/16 is too long? I like to use the 5/16 with a flash cup to keep fouling from building up on the barrel and in the underhammer action that I have but my barrel is a 1 1/4 too so much it is not a problem for me the hammer and nipple still line up just fine.

R B

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

3/14/2015 8:17 AM  #11

You know....a 5/16 with flash cup might be spot on!  I'd have to mod the cup a little with my hammer setup but doable.

3/14/2015 9:00 AM  #12

Ken,
No problem. The more discussion and questions raised, the more answers we all get.
Mark

3/15/2015 7:30 PM  #13

i will try and be polite -- it has been a long winter and you guys are atempting to think to much .their is no majic secret tap or debth a standard  1/4-28  their are no shoulders  or other ideas you are kicking around.  please do yourselves a big favor and dont be run taps up and down the frigging hole,you can and will screw up the threads unloess you know exactly what you are doing,paul had a couple barrels returned from guys trying to retap the holes because  they though new their nipples were to tight  if you run the bottm tap all the way threw you take a real good chance of  cross threrading starting threads -over cutting threrads and a looser sloopy nipple fit . voice of experince .already did it. i was one of the over thinking dumbones yerars ago..

almost all of us have been shooting standard nipples on the 90 degress hammer nipple up the barrel .no matter the nipple length you get a big carbon build up behind it.just leave it alone!!clean after shooting the match. if you pull the nipple and look their is a small hole blown threw the middle of the thin layer of  carbon build up.  the more you take the nipple out and puck with it  the more chance of miss fires due to wetting the area behind nipple  most people did not know it but paul slightly  coned the inside of the barrel nipple hole.shot his underhammer for 10 years with no problems on short nipple.only problem is using to wet a cleaning  patch no matter how many dry ones aftrwaeds.
dag

Last edited by MMprwarner (3/21/2015 9:16 PM)

3/21/2015 12:34 PM  #14

Found a nipple for a Walker revolver that is still #11 cap with a slightly longer shank and shorter cone.  Spot on perfect.  Improved the hammer contact geometry too without filing cone down.  5/16 nipple was too long in general.

3/21/2015 6:13 PM  #15

Everyone's boat floats differently and finding the combination that floats yours best is part of the game. In muzzleloading there are many truths, many myths and many maybes, but tinkering and making changes SAFELY is part of the game. Dag, I for one take exception to tinkerers being called dumbasses. In the future I will block such comments from the board.
Mark

3/21/2015 9:55 PM  #16

Paul & Dagner were right; I learned the hard way. No taps on the barrel. You might run a die down on the nipple. That way if you mess it up you haven't lost much. Suggestion: after each shoot clean the rifle nipple hole with a .27 or .28 cal. bore brush. I think you have a cleaning problem as I did. The bore brush is easier on the threads. Also, when I install a nipple I put a dab of monolithium grease on the threads. They come out easier that way. Balastol works well too. If that doesn't work get a needle file and clean out the vees of the nipple threads.
OR GET A FLINT LOCK

3/23/2015 12:03 AM  #17

smoking buck --quit being a fool  i called myself the first  dumbass. i have watched to many people play with taps in the nipple hole over past 25 years  and  saw a half dozen nipples blown out of the breech..saw another half dozen with the threads ruined and  made dangerous.

dag

Last edited by dag (3/23/2015 2:54 AM)

3/23/2015 8:09 AM  #18

Dag,
I don't feel I'm being a fool nor do I disagreee with some of what you you are saying. Many practices are unsafe and foolish  and need to be avoided. I am reminding you that when the board was established there were rules put in place to prevent unacceptable language or comments that are degrading to others.  Follow the rules, give good advice and all is well.
Mark

3/23/2015 7:06 PM  #19

Hey guys I am the one who made the comment on running a bottom tap in a blind hole not through a hole going all the way into the bore. So I assume I am the one you are referring to. I do understand what you all are saying and yes you can mess things up if not done correctly or not knowing what you are doing. But it can be done correctly! So if you are not sure what you are doing then by all means don't. But I am not here to argue about it. Oh by the way no offense taken. Have a good day and safe shooting.

Last edited by Ken (3/23/2015 7:07 PM)

6/28/2015 3:02 PM  #20

Steve Greenside nipples usually some longer. We kept asking him to shorten . Pecatonica River

6/29/2015 10:37 AM  #21

We're all tinkerers, out of necessity. The great thing about being able to ask seemingly dumb questions is that we can find out what other tinkerers have tried and how it worked--or didn't. Keep the questions coming so I can keep learning!

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

Board footera