MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2015 4:08 AM  #1

Patch lubrication

Around my area in TX most shooters use Teflon patch material at the occassional log matches.  I was wondering at the big matches where this is not allowed what the shooters typically use to lubricate their patch material?  It is my understanding that teflon patching is not allowed at York and the other big matches.  Do you soak the patch material in a lubricant mixture of oil/water and then allow to dry and put in an air tight container for use later?  Any recommended formulas?  I am wanting to try something other than teflon patch material in case I ever venture up to one of the big matches sometime.  Thanks for any help you care to share.

Mike   

2/28/2015 6:22 AM  #2

Re: Patch lubrication

Mike, the only match that I know of that will not allow Teflon is the newly formed Table match "hunter class" at Friendship.

If you want an alternative to Teflon try "Dutch Shulttz System".  Search it on the Web.

Basically a ratio, generally 6/1, of water soluable oil and water. Use it like you described.

You need to experiment as usual but I have had good sucess with it.

Mike

2/28/2015 11:35 AM  #3

The spelling is "Dutch Schoultz," IIRC. Here's the site. I've heard it's worth the cost to send for the info. May try it myself.

http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

Something about using Teflon sort of sticks in my craw. Could be part of my accuracy problems.

Last edited by Kermit (2/28/2015 11:38 AM)

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

2/28/2015 12:54 PM  #4

I am along with Spiderman. I have been the range officer down to York for several years now and one of the range officers at friendship. I don't know of any place were Teflon is not allowed, in a chunk. So other than that find any magic formula you like that will make the ball slide down the barrel. I have used spit patch, Teflon, straight simple green. Also you might try MR flintlocks. Have fun and stay safe.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

2/28/2015 5:29 PM  #5

wire brush -- i dont know of any big or small chunk patches that dont allow teflon

dag

2/28/2015 7:03 PM  #6

I use the green teflon patching and use a small amount of water and liquid dish detergent. Just enough to get it to load a little easy. I haven't noticed much difference in the way it shoots.

Barry Smith

3/01/2015 12:23 AM  #7

most of us put patch over barrel set the ball in to form a dimple  then put one drop of water/dawn mixture in middle of dipple put ball back in .this makes a super tight dry fit real easy to lead .still have to give starter a good wack with hammer but pushes down barrel 100% easier.. i have used the same on blue.remember one drop.the blue is very water sensative..the green dont care
dag

3/01/2015 8:17 AM  #8

I like Ballistol.   I mix one part oil to 5 parts water, soak the patch cloth ( like a few days before ) then let it air dry.  Repeat once to get even coverage.  Use a strong canvas patching material.  ---
I think the Teflon works good because the maker uses a really tough grade of canvas.  If the patch tears at the muzzle, all is lost.  ------
I wipe the bore between shots with  two damp patches, with the same dilution Ballistol mix.  If you can wring water out, it is too wet. . . .Even though this is a "dry" patch it slides down fine, as long as you don't wait tooo long after wiping.

3/02/2015 4:05 PM  #9

kermit save your money
here is the  MURPHY  patch liube solution
6 parts water FAVORITE   ANY WHERE FROM 4 TO 8  WHAT EVER SHOOTS BEST IN YOR GUN
1 part wateer solubile cutting oil  -- patches STRIPS  must be laind flat on floor  to dry or oil will run to bottom edge.-- NAPA AUTO PARTS CHAIN IS WATER SOLUBILE GRIDING AND CUTTING OIL GALLON PART NUMBER 765-1525   beware of using hospital anti bactyerial cutting oil-- it eats cotton patching up in under a month

NOW HERE IS THE LEGENDAY MOOSE MILK CLEANING LIQUID FROM SAME ARTICLE
1 WATER SOLUBILE OIL
20  WATER
1 PINESOL OR LISTOIL
2 PEROXIDE--  A  LOT OF PEOPLE LEAVE THIS OUT
2 RUBBING  ALCOHOL-IF YOU CARE ABOUT WINTER FREEZING

LAST IS GETZ CLEANING LIQUID   I GOT THIS FROM DON AND JOHN GETZ YEARS AGO WHEN SHOT ON THE DRIBBLERS CHUNK TEAM WITH THEM AT YORKSHOOT.

1 GALLON WATER
32 OZ BOTTLE MURPYS OIL SOAP
16 OZ 3% RUBBING ACHOHOL
HAPPY SHOOTING
DAG

Last edited by dag (3/02/2015 4:07 PM)

3/02/2015 4:29 PM  #10

I had heard of all those recipes that DAG mentioned at one time or another. That really doesn't surprise me. We kind a know a lot of the same people. I don't know if there's any truth to it, but I was told somewhere along the line that those mixtures should be kept in a dark bottle such as brown glass or something like that, if I remember right there was something about sunlight breaking down one of the components I have seen people use all of them, and they all swore that they worked very well.

Now there is another recipe. It's been a deep dark secret for many years. You take the one part fat of a bore hog killed under the full moon two parts oil from the flax plant.( A.k.a. linseed oil) melt them together. And one part of an aged straight Kentucky bourbon, being careful not to let the mixture boil.Dip you're patching material in them lay them flat on the stump of a willow tree that was cut down under a new moon, use the juice of the blueberry to paint your face, blue from ear to ear carrying Hickory stick pointed towards the sky shaking the Hickory stick, making three trips clockwise and two trips counterclockwise around the stump. Should you decide to use this recipe would you please have someone videotape it. And be careful when dipping the strips of patching in the hot mixture. I would use tongs it might hurt.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

3/08/2015 3:29 AM  #11

Thanks everyone for sharing your "secret".  Don't know where I got the idea that Teflon was not allowed, must have gotten confused with the table rules as mentioned.  I will study on what has been said and give some of this a try.  Thanks to all and good shooting this season.

Wirebrush   

Board footera