MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2015 4:31 PM  #1

Front sight rules

I had a possible shooter ask me if the cross hair insert would be allowed on a Table shoot? I know that the rule states the front sight must be a post or bead but I don't see anything wrong with a cross hair insert myself as long as an aperture is not used. I'm just wondering what some of the Table shooters think of that?

Richard

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

2/04/2015 4:43 PM  #2

Re: Front sight rules

Richard,
Cross hair front sight inserts don't meet the rules that have been submitted and accepted by the NMLRA. Post and bead or blade are what must be used to meet the accepted rules. What you do at your own club shoots is up to you but other than the use of accepted sights you will not he able to participate at Friendship, the postal matches or most other clubs.
Mark

2/04/2015 5:08 PM  #3

rhbrink wrote:

I had a possible shooter ask me if the cross hair insert would be allowed on a Table shoot? I know that the rule states the front sight must be a post or bead but I don't see anything wrong with a cross hair insert myself as long as an aperture is not used. I'm just wondering what some of the Table shooters think of that?

Richard

I feel with our Postal Match here, we should use the NMLRA sight rules that exist if for no other reason that this is what this discipline of shooting was establshed under through this board, and presented to the NMLRA as being recognized as the existing Rules.  This is just my opinion of course. 

Joe

2/04/2015 6:18 PM  #4

I would try to improve on what Mark said, however I don't think l can. We have in the past and will continue to allow that type of sight to the point that the insert emulate one of the permitted front sights.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

2/05/2015 12:06 AM  #5

I'd just let the feller know that all he needs to do is change the front insert and come out and join the fun.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

2/05/2015 6:40 AM  #6

Kermit wrote:

I'd just let the feller know that all he needs to do is change the front insert and come out and join the fun.

That's what I'll do and hope that he does come on out? Just wasn't wanting to turn anybody away.

RB

2/05/2015 8:00 AM  #7

Richard,
We certainly don't want to turn anyone away either, we just all want to shoot by the same rules. They're really pretty simple.
Mark

2/05/2015 9:00 AM  #8

Actually just for a look see I put a cross hair in a front sight and I can't see it worth a hoot the post is much clearer to me but people do have different eyes. I argee the rules need to be kept the same for everybody I was just wanting to get a idea about how you fellows might feel about the front sight rule.

Thanks

Richard

2/05/2015 11:26 PM  #9

rhbrink wrote:

Actually just for a look see I put a cross hair in a front sight and I can't see it worth a hoot the post is much clearer to me but people do have different eyes. I argee the rules need to be kept the same for everybody I was just wanting to get a idea about how you fellows might feel about the front sight rule. Thanks Richard

Dave brought me a present at The Ole Gezzers Gathering Tuesday. He handed me a box of sights and told me to pick out a back sight that would go with this ... He layed down a Lyman 17 front sight with a insert of a post and about a small knob on top.
Now I'm anxious to install them. I think the back sight we selected will mount on the wood stock with a couple of short screws and not require any drilling and tapping of the underhammer.
I'm thinking of screwing the sight clear down and making them level for shootin=g at the 30 yrd. distance and can then screw upward out to 60, 100 or longer.
The cigar box was a half sized box that had held Prince Edwards and the printed price on the box was ... 5 for .20 cents!
Big John

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

2/06/2015 6:54 AM  #10

Best not be sneaking any cross hairs in there, I'm going to be checking!!

Sounds like to me you just might be gettin' serious about this business!!!!!

Richard

2/06/2015 9:12 AM  #11

Unless I'm mistaken,,, I don't see the Front Sight Rule posted in these Rules to the Link we go to - to print our targets.

1). The rifle must weigh 13 pounds or less unloaded, including all apparatuses which will be on the rifle at the time of firing,
2). Rear sights must be of the following: open notch or peep sight. Adjustable rear sights will be allowed on the rifle but may not be adjusted after the competition begins.
3). All shooters will use a common table or tables provided by range. The muzzle will be supported by a pyramid of 2X4s provided by range. The rest may be covered with no more than 2 layers cloth or leather to protect finish of rifle.
4.) The distance shot will be approximately 30 yards at a center X and scored under typical center X scoring rules.
5.) No Kant blocks, sand bags or other devices intended to stabilize the rifle, shooting mitts, shooting coats or wind reading devices will be allowed.
6). Spotting scope may be placed behind the loading area, and in a manner as not to interfere with other competitors, and may not be placed on the shooting table.7 F

Joe

2/06/2015 9:47 AM  #12

Joe,
I will have to go back and find where it was posted but I am pretty sure that the front sight question was addressed by NMLRA rule #5010. "Open front sight may be a blade,pin head post or barleycorn. The match will state if it can be shaded or not. A globe sight with a post blade is considered a open sight with a sun shade".  I believe this is how it was submitted to the NMLRA for acceptance at Friendship.
Mark

2/06/2015 10:36 AM  #13

Joe,
I have just looked back and found that the letter, and submitted rules, given to the NMLRA do in fact state that front sights will be subject to the NMLRA rule #5010. The letter can be found on our secondary site, prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters, and the ruling falls under "sights".
Mark  

2/06/2015 1:57 PM  #14

smokinbuck wrote:

Joe,
I have just looked back and found that the letter, and submitted rules, given to the NMLRA do in fact state that front sights will be subject to the NMLRA rule #5010. The letter can be found on our secondary site, prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters, and the ruling falls under "sights".
Mark  

Thanks Mark, I knew I had seen it  posted somewhere but was unable to find it again.

Joe

2/06/2015 11:16 PM  #15

rhbrink wrote:

Best not be sneaking any cross hairs in there, I'm going to be checking!! Sounds like to me you just might be gettin' serious about this business!!!!!      Richard

I did look at some different inserts I have from Lee Shavers but I'll stick to what the rules are stating!
I think this table shooting is gonna be all right! All I'm wanting to do is keep up with you and Gerald!
That will require a little tweaking on my sights and stray away from those open sights!!

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

Board footera