MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2015 10:50 AM  #1

Table gun "stock".

I got my barrle ordered yesterday and am chomping at the bit to get her built.
The STOCK ????
1-   Can I build it without a ramrod channel, just an ovel shape fore stock ???

2-  Rule 5500T said no cant blocks cannot be used. Does this include a flat section on the front of stock??

3-  Is there any preferred stock shape?

Being a newbe to this game, these were some thoughts I had.

Thanks for any help.    Ernie

Last edited by Oldbow (1/07/2015 10:54 AM)

1/07/2015 11:16 AM  #2

Re: Table gun "stock".

Ernie,
Depnding on whether you are building an open class or hunter class rifle will determine some of your answers. Open class does not have to have a ram rod channel but hunter class does have to have provision for a ram rod. If you are building an open class rifle with a full stock then the shape of the stock should be uniform from the lock mortice to the muzzle. It would not be acceptable to have a shaped fore stock flowing into a flat that could be considered a cant. There does not seem to be a preffered stock shape however a full stock with a wide profile would give you better support on the barrel rest. Hunter class stocks are going to be of traditional style. Many open class rifles do not have a fore stock. Remember that you need to meet the weight requirements for either class.
Mark

1/07/2015 12:47 PM  #3

Greetings Ernie
Even though I wrote the rule, I had to go back and check it. If you will read a little deeper into the rule. It says, or other devices intended to stabilize the rifle. I know that over the log shooters or at least some have been incorporating the cant block as part of the four end of the rifle. The intent of the rule is not to have anything to act as a cant block. With that being said, an individual who has a rifle of half stock or under hammer with no four arm would be able to use the bottom flat of an octagon barrel, but due to the weight limitations in order to get much barrel length at all that bottom flat will not be very wide. An individual with a rifle that has ramrod provisions would have the two sides of the ramrod groove once again, it would not offer much in the lines of stabilization (and before anybody goes there, the ramrod groove should be in the spirit of the caliber of the rifle.). Now to answer your question mark is steering you in the right direction. In order to stay within the spirit of the rule your rifle would be expected to have the typical rounded curved lines from front to back. I don't recall any of the traditional hunting or target rifles having anything other than that.

Well I hope I've helped inform you, rather than completely confused you any rate have a nice day. Talk to you later. Robin

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

1/07/2015 1:12 PM  #4

I can just see some wag showing up with an open class rifle with a square barrel in order to maximize the bottom flat. At that point I can imagine the rules changing to only allow round or octagonal barrels and to require the ramrod to be in place at the time of firing for hunter class. Always someone looking for a loophole.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

1/07/2015 1:16 PM  #5

So if you were shooting a rifle in the Hunter Class a half stock would you have to have an under rib and ramrod guides? I'm thinking of a T-C rifle or something along those lines that someone has replaced the barrel and the stock still has the ramrod hole but no effort was made to install the underrib since it wasn't being used anyway I have several members of my local club that shoot just such a rifle.

Richard

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

1/07/2015 1:34 PM  #6

Ramrod pipes are sometimes attached directly to the bottom of the barrel. I expect the absence of an underrib would be okay if there's still a ramrod.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

1/07/2015 1:53 PM  #7

Kermit has it right. With the intent of the hunter class to be "traditional" an underrib is not required but a ram rod hole in the stock and at least one thimble under the barrel is. I have a number of originals that are made just that way. To answer kermit's question regarding a square barrel, I asked Paul about a barrel one time, and only once, that was octagon on top with a flat bottom. He didn't think it was practical to make due to the bowing that the milling of the bottom flat would cause. Enough said, I didn't question him further, it was Paul talking. I would think that "if" a square barrel was made it would be pretty short, based on the weight and the sight radius might be more like a long pistol.
Mark

1/07/2015 2:19 PM  #8

Mark
I haven't laughed that hard a while; a square barrel might make for some very interesting harmonics any way I digress. Back to the rulebook where it says traditional hunting or target. I don't recall seeing any traditional hunting, target rifles with square barrels on them. If someone shows up with a square barrel will be sure to go get him a file and tell them to make an octagon. We should probably watch out for the infamous equilateral triangle barrel. I don't recall those being on traditional guns either.

Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

1/07/2015 4:05 PM  #9

Thanks, Ladds I get the idea.
Standard oval forstock w/ no ramrod ok in 13# class and no  flat spots.

1/07/2015 4:44 PM  #10

I'm thinking that by the time the season gets underway we will all be on the same page, maybe. I do feel we are getting some good questions, except for the square and triangular barrels, and should have some competitive rifles at the matches.
Mark

1/07/2015 4:53 PM  #11

Oh-Man I got me some good ideas now!!!

Richard

1/07/2015 10:28 PM  #12

robin dont laught to hard yet .you talk about harmonics -well hold on to your hat -volqusin makes a 22 target pistol with a square barrel . my buddies kid shot in jr olympics and uses one now.
dag

1/08/2015 5:42 AM  #13

Didn't Forsyth make a barrel that was wider that it was tall? I don't remember just what that was suppose to accomplish but what if? Just sayin'

Richard

1/08/2015 10:26 AM  #14

Hey Dag
That particular pistol has a couple of things in common with my Smith 22 A it appears that the barrel, square. Indeed, the barrel is a liner, but that being said, have you had a chance to bash your fingers across the Remington with the triangular shaped barrel on but it any rate back to muzzle loading. I love threads like this. It brings up the comedienne and all of us. Richard  Forsythe did make what they referred to as a wide-body think African Zephyr, nobody could ever figure out what it was really supposed to accomplish. Most thought it was a marketing ploy. I think most of them were made in 8 bore and 12 bore. Can you imagine loading up and 8 bore stoking it up with 200 or 300 grains of powder and shooting it from underneath the cover down at friendship. The concussion alone would affect everybody from the silhouette line to the flea market. But hey, I’m open for almost anything once. Talk to you guys later.
Robin

Theodore Roosevelt
John Wayne

1/08/2015 11:09 PM  #15

rember when lizard brought the 2 bore to coons .shot golf ball sized round balls and 300 grain of powder .it was a fort wall gun .watchted the guys shoot it like chunk. slid them back along the ground about 2 feet.what was suprising was how they were hammering a 6 inch circle at 60 yards. i even conned doug scott into shooting it. love the weird stuff we ran into

dag

Board footera