MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2014 10:03 PM  #1

Sights for Table?

Until I can get "a round tuit" and build a dedicated table gun--hopefully in this lifetime--I'm thinking to shoot one of my flinters. I currently shoot it offhand, but except for the low traditional sights, it might do for a while. Any suggestions for changes? All I would want to do is knock the existing low sights out and replace them with something a little better suited to the task of spider killing.

48" x .50 x 7/8" straight DeHass barrel, if you're wondering.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

5/09/2014 7:32 AM  #2

Re: Sights for Table?

Kermit,
Some of the fellows are using their chunk gun sights, round bottom straight notch with a post and bead front, quite successfully. That might be the thing to try as it would not affect the dovetail in your barrel when you put your offhand sights back in place. The chunk sights that Paul Griffith was making were oustanding and are being made again by Robin. 
Mark

5/10/2014 11:43 PM  #3

i was looking at my new hunting magaziine and their was a advertisement for some of the neatest peep sights i ever saw. called skinner sights..these look great.hell my old crab butt is thinking hard  about buying a set. to put my ofhand rifle.they sure look like they would work sweet on table gun
www.skinnersights.com

5/11/2014 9:35 AM  #4

Dag,
Nothing new about the Skinner sights, except maybe who's making them these days. I see two problems with them; 1) They are pretty far out in front to have the desired effect of a peep sight for target shooting. I feel they are meant more for use as a ghost ring sight for hunting. 2) Mounted the way they are you are limited to the size of the eye cup that can be used. The small eye cup tends to let you look around the sight as well as through it which, in my opinion, causes a distraction.
Mark 

5/29/2014 8:09 PM  #5

I just finished fitting an anschutz  globe front sight on my table gun. Need to get out to the range and try it out.

6/23/2014 12:44 PM  #6

Seems it wouldn't be much of a challenge to make a "long bar sight" using this Skinner aperture.

http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.html

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

6/23/2014 6:34 PM  #7

kermit,
You are right about using the Skinner sight on a long bar. I made one similar to it and mounted it directly to the rear of an underhammer action. Table shooting doesn't necessarily require an elaborate sight, just one that will remain constant once it is sighted in.
Mark

6/23/2014 8:33 PM  #8

It only takes about 30 minutes to whip up a good long bar peep. I believe that some of the guys that are using the nicer sites have them on simply because they already own them otherwise having a it just doesn't do you any good you're not allowed to adjust them anyway you'd be surprised what you can do with a 1/2 by a 1/8 steel and a few tools. take care and be safe out there

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

Board footera