MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2014 9:29 PM  #1

Owl Creek Table Shoot

The first table shoot at Owl Creek was yesterday, 8 November 2014.
The morning started out windy and cloudy and cool. We are protected from the wind a little with woods on the west side of the range about 40 yrds. away. That helped some.
Richard Brinkman and Jerry Hartman drove over from the Kansas City area and David Horton came from down near Tuscumbia MO.
We may have been a small crowd but the visiting and comaraderie was second to none!
This was a 5 shot match at 30 yrds. because it was our first time. It started in the shadows of clouds and finished in bright sunshine!
Jerry shot a string of 1.243 for first place.
Richard shot a 3.295 for second,
I shot a 4.341 for third and David shot 6.006.
This was Davids and my first time shooting from a table and we learned alot!
After a couple of bowls of chili and a few hot dogs fried in the skillet, we settled down for a great afternoon of discussing Table Shoots, how to score them and a few more things we think would make the shoots better.
Our equipment ----John McCray shooting a .54cal.X42" Bill Large barrel, .022 canvas patch,.530 ball and Goex powder, open sight.
Jerry shooting a .45calX40" barrel, .020 patch and a .451 ball. Peep sight.
Richard shooting a .40cal.X36" Rice barrel, .022 canvas duck and .395 ball. Open sight
David shooting a .54calX42" barrel, .018 ticking and .535 ball. Open sight.

All in all it was a wonderful day and I thank Richard and Jerry for being there! I also would like to thank Sandy (Davids wife) and my wife Cathy for serving us dinner and keeping the fire warming the building. It was a great...great day!!
Big John in the Kingdom of Callaway!  

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

11/09/2014 9:59 PM  #2

Re: Owl Creek Table Shoot

Sorry that I forgot the close shot of the match! That goes to Jerry with a .039! Beautiful shot!
Richards close shot was a .073.
My close shot was a .686 and Davids was a .470!
We will be having another shoot in the future. It was just to much fun!!
Big John in the Kingdom!

Will Rogers

11/10/2014 8:20 AM  #3

Great report Big John! I had wonderful time and plan on doing this a lot more I just wish that there was some way to get the news of this type of shooting out to the bunch of muzzle loader shooters in this state. It's easy to do, fun, and you don't have to have a whole bunch of equipment to compete easy on the old guys too! To me the jawing back and forth while loading and waiting on doing the target change is about as much fun as the actuall shooting itself, well almost! I guess just talk to as many people as will listen and hope that somebody will show up? Still a little unsure about the peep sight thing myself?

I'm beginning to think that as many shooters as there are in this state that there are very few real target shooters and if you kept the game more traditional allowing the people with open sights to feel more confortable shooting against other open sights as opposed to seeing someone with fancy adjustable peeps although you are not allowed to adjust them just might be more of a turn-off, more that they are willing to compete against? Just rambling along and throwing some ideas out there.

RB

Last edited by rhbrink (11/10/2014 8:21 AM)

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

11/19/2014 1:59 AM  #4

good going . they all start out small .just keep pluging away .they will grow

dag

11/30/2014 9:00 AM  #5

Jim,     Sounds like my kind of fun and a great way for us old farts to get back into competitive shooting.

I really like your equipment breakdown of the match great help to us newbees.
your shoot is on my list for next year.

11/30/2014 11:00 AM  #6

I'm glad that you brought the equipment breakdown up. I think that it is a great help for someone new coming into a sport or someone that maybe their stuff just isn't working as well as they think that it should.

I have been involved in several other types of shootng where when you sign up you get a form to fill out that list all the information about barrel, twist, length, powder, bullet, lube, stock, sights all the good stuff. When I first started running Cast Bullet matches and throwed this paper out to be filled in you should have heard the crying and whinning! Good Grief! It isn't like that there are really many secrets left out there and I'm sure that all of these people had some help along the way some time ago, probably forgot all about that! Help a new guy out they still have to line the sights up figure out the light and pull the trigger.

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

11/30/2014 8:20 PM  #7

I was always interested in what the shooters were using, especially the better ones.
You can take one rifle and five shooters and the results will be very different but I still wanted to know what equipment was being used.
Faith in your equipment gives you a slight edge because you know you're trying with the best!
If you don't think you can shoot good ... you won't!
Sometimes I think I can shoot good ... but I don't!
Still love the shootn', win lose or draw! 

Will Rogers

2/26/2015 10:02 AM  #8

big john  -try bring out smaller guns 32-36-38 -40 with light loads. one of the fine gentelmen over at coons had done some serious ass wipping with his 32 cal squirrel gun all 6 1/2 lbs of it with open crude sights.heck it was even a believe a flinter .i went to a griffith barreld 38 and shot 35 grains of 2f   .the gun continualy grouped 10 shots in a nickel.was like shootin a bb gun .other guys are finding out the same  .give it a try you will be suprised
dag

2/26/2015 10:25 AM  #9

Dag is correct the rifles that have been doing best at our club, are around the 40 caliber range. The 32 caliber. He is talking about is a simple 32 caliber squirrel rifle with a clarifier behind an open set of sites. I don't know that Dave has actually won a shoot with it, but he is continually second or third and through the payout system we use. He is always in the top one or two money winners. We seem to have a lot of 40 caliber should a couple of 32, a couple of 38's and a couple of 45s that are always in the mix. I know my 38 is just like shooting a 22 rifle next to no recoil. Just a real pleasure to shoot.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

Board footera