MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/14/2014 12:13 AM  #1

Powders

Since I'm starting to see a time for another powder order, I thought it might be informative--to me at least!--to hear what powders folks here use in various disciplines. Tell us what powder you use in what caliber and in what game. Like this (pure fiction): I use Elephant Fg in a .30 caliber slug gun. Or: I use Goex FFFFg in a 10ga flint double for skeet. Tell us about any and all powders you keep on hand.

I personally use a lot of Goex and a little Swiss and O.E. But I'm curious to hear what some other folks are using in various target disciplines. Help me out here. I might want to make some changes in my next order.

Last edited by Kermit (10/14/2014 12:15 AM)

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

10/14/2014 7:27 AM  #2

Re: Powders

Personally I have never bought or used Swiss of any kind. All Goex 2F and 3F and I have recently started using some Olde Eynsford. Olde E. does burn cleaner than regular old Goex but I don't see that as any great advantage as I'm a line shooter and wipe between shots for maximum accuracy anyway. To me Olde E. does seem to burn with more pressure and probably higher velocity don't use a chronograph either. I notice that some rifles seem to really like Olde E. and some don't in all cases I've had to drop back down on the charge of Olde E. from the Goex powders maybe some of the rifles that weren't all that friendly with Olde E. I just didn't drop back far enough and the only Olde E. that I have used has been 3F so may be some of those larger bores would benefit for 2F or even 1.5F of olde E?

RB

Last edited by rhbrink (10/14/2014 7:28 AM)

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

10/14/2014 7:46 AM  #3

I use Swiss 1.5 fg for everthing from a a roundball flinter (except in the pan) to a long range bullet rifle.  

I guess there is another exception, In my shotguns, I use whatever odds and ends of powder I have from failed batches of powder that I have purchaced or powder won at matches.  This is mostly 2fg Goex Exp at the moment.  My shotguns aren't too picky.  

10/14/2014 7:55 AM  #4

3F Goex for everything , 32,40 & 50.  4F Swiss in the pan on the flinters.
Slim

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife.
Daniel Boone

10/14/2014 11:02 AM  #5

Kermit,
Obviously I use varying loads for different rifles but for my table rifle; .40 caliber with .395 round ball, .015 pre lubed patches and either 55-60 grains of FFFg Goex. I'm shooting an Ed Rayl barrel with .014 rifling, 8 groove, and 1:56 ROT. When I do my part I've had some pretty good strings.
Mark

10/14/2014 11:24 AM  #6

As a rule, if I'm resting. The muzzle end of the rifle. I will shoot the required gradation of Swiss (3F up to and including 50 caliber and usually 1 1/2 F for larger than that) if I'm shooting offhand, I will shoot Goex  (3F up to and including 50 caliber and usually 2 F for larger than that). And in the scattered guns nearly anything that will causes a good ignition is fine with me. Mostly 2 F Goex. When it comes to priming the rock lock. I use Swiss Null B.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

10/14/2014 4:17 PM  #7

Kermit, I use Goex FFg exclusively for main charges -- .32, .40, .50, .54, 14 ga and 12 ga.  Included are .40 flint pistol and .45 revolver.  Flinters get Goex FFFFg in the pan.  Won powder week before last,  Got FFg Goex the first 3 times up but next time up that was gone so took 3F to trade.  There was still some Schutzen, Old E and Jack's Battle powder on the table.
TC

Last edited by Standing Bear (10/14/2014 4:20 PM)

Nothing is difficult if you have the right equipment AND know how to use it.

10/15/2014 7:23 AM  #8

Jack's Battle Powder?  Never heard of it.  Can you elaborate?

10/15/2014 7:28 AM  #9

Re-enactment powder it's not screened as much and is more "Dirty" but some guys do shoot it and claim that it shoots just fine it is cheaper. You can go to www.jackspowderkeg.com and read more about it.

RB

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

10/15/2014 2:43 PM  #10

i practice with goex    3x under 50    50 and 54 2x       my off hand sucks so i use goex all the time    now chunk or bench matches swiiss --the old top shootesr remark  -you not shooting swiss your not trying to win.

10/17/2014 2:08 AM  #11

I don't shoot well enough anymore to tell the difference in accuracy in powders, but I do know
some of the finest shooters in the world. I can call as friends. They all use Swiss. I have
asked them if they had to use  Goex what difference would it make at say 50 yards. All told
me they would lose about 3 points in a match. Championships are won or lost by a simple  X.
So just to keep things simple in my mind I sold all my Goex and got 2 cases of Swiss about
5 years ago.  We can shoot all day and our guns look like they have just been cleaned. I will
never go back to Goex. Got several lbs of Old Enysford  but have never shot any.  Wife keeps
winning it. Probably will trade it for Swiss next June at Friendship.

PRP

10/17/2014 5:43 AM  #12

Swiss in everything except table gun. I used Schutzen 3f in 45cal and accuracy was there compared to Swiss 3f. It was a LOT dirtier though!

12/09/2014 3:00 PM  #13

I never shot a really good group until I used Swiss 1.5 in my .40.  But I tried some KIK in my .50 rice and spidermatic, liked it so well I bought a case of KIK 2F.  I tested FFg KIK over a chronograph with a 6x scope and got the best groups, smallest velocity deviation.  I like the KIK very well.  All my muzzleloading rifles are flintlock. 

Board footera