MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2019 9:16 PM  #1

Big John - Missouri

Haven't seen you on the message board for awhile and hope that nothing has happened to you out there in Missouri.

I know we are all getting older and things can change very quickly so I hope this finds you well.

I know y'all have had a lot of rain and rough storms out there, hope that has not been an issue for you.

Just checking in,

Carl

6/11/2019 11:44 PM  #2

Re: Big John - Missouri

Hello Carl and the rest of you fine shooters!
There has been a thing or two happen this spring.

I had typed out several issues going on in our lives but I don't want to air all my problems to this fine bunch.

The one I will share and worst thing that happened is a failed cataract surgery. On the last day of April I had surgery on my right eye and haven't been able to see out of it since. I'd always had great vision so this is quite the adjustment. Busted blood vessel and  flooded my eye with blood and left me looking thru a frosted glass! Give it time they say but I haven't noticed much improvement. Been back to the doctor a lot. As you say, things change quickly.

Most of the really bad storms have skirted to our east and west. The tornado that went thru Jefferson City was headed our way also but changed course about 15 miles south of us and headed east. We have had lots of rain but nothing severe near here to speak of. 

Thanks for checking in! It's nice to know people are thinking of me. I'll try to bring myself out of the "funk" I've been in (according to my wife!) and participate a little more.
I still check the board everyday and see where you fellows have been doing some excellent shooting.
I was just beginning to feel like I could return to doing a little shooting, and I will hopefully in the future.

Thanks for your concerns!!
Big John smack dab in the middle of Missouri in the Kingdom of Callaway!

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
Will Rogers

6/12/2019 10:51 PM  #3

John sorry to hear about the eye problems. Makes my floater in the center of my right eye seem like a non problem. God be willing that your eye be healed

6/12/2019 11:56 PM  #4

Copper head hill118 wrote:

John sorry to hear about the eye problems. Makes my floater in the center of my right eye seem like a non problem. God be willing that your eye be healed

Copperhead thanks for the concerns and prayers. 
I also have 2 dark grey floaters in there! When I can maneuver them to one side I can see the images of some bright lights in the kitchen so there may be hope!
My father-in-law has a dark black floater in his left eye after getting some shots to stop macular degeneration. Now only taking shots in his right eye every 5 weeks. He is 96 and was shooting and hunting up until last year when this all started. He had to give that up because he is left handed!

I hope all is well down "under the hill!"

Big John

Will Rogers

6/15/2019 4:37 AM  #5

Big John,

Was glad to hear from you and know that you are still upright and mobile but am saddened to hear about the vision issues you are having. I hope that it works out for you and your eye gets better.

My good luck at table shooting took a hit Thursday up at Friendship. Had rain and drizzle, dark clouds to sunny and winds from 10 to 30 mph all morning,so needless to say my scores were less than average. There were 14 shooters on the chunk gun line and it was rough on them I'm sure.

Practically no one was shooting on the bench line or the offhand line, was a very quiet day.

Take care and heal up and hope to see you out in Missouri some time.

Carl

6/23/2019 12:00 AM  #6

cking wrote:

Big John,

Was glad to hear from you and know that you are still upright and mobile but am saddened to hear about the vision issues you are having. I hope that it works out for you and your eye gets better.

My good luck at table shooting took a hit Thursday up at Friendship. Had rain and drizzle, dark clouds to sunny and winds from 10 to 30 mph all morning,so needless to say my scores were less than average.

Take care and heal up and hope to see you out in Missouri some time.

Carl

Thanks Carl. I have an appointment Monday with the doctor so will discuss things a bit. I can't see much different in the eye. The floaters may be getting a little lighter and more transparent but not much. Late in the evenings I can see better thru the "frosted glass" portion but very little. We'll see how things go!!

David Horton (he fried the fish at the shoot) attended Friendship for the first time. He was shooting double barrel shotgun and said the weather was not a good thing. Wet and windy! It's hard to get good scores in those conditions! 

We had 5 and 2/10"of rain this morning from about 6am to 9:30. Needless to say all low water areas were flooded for about 3 hours. What do you do with that much water in that short of time except put up with it. They say our range where we were shooting was 3" deep and barely got up in the building. That little crick was wild!
We are now forecast for heavy rains and some wind from tonight until Sunday evening. I can hear thunder as I'm typing this but no rain at present.
I was hoping that David, Richard and I could come over in your area and get a few lessons in shooting this summer. Maybe we can work in a trip in the fall.

Thanks for your concerns,
Big John

Will Rogers

6/28/2019 12:51 AM  #7

cking wrote:

Big John,

Carl

A little update Carl. 
I went to see the doctor this past Monday.
The doctor looked at the eye for the longest time. I had had enough of that bright light!! He said there was no new blood and the edges looked like they were clearing up some.
After quite a bit of discussion with me and the wife, we have decided to give it 6 more weeks before discussing eye surgery. He and I both would like to keep from operating on this unless we just see that it won't get any better.
It has gotten about as much better since Monday as it has since the operation in April. Just maybe there's hope.
Now I guess it's just a waiting game.
Thanks again for everyone's concerns ………...

Big John

Will Rogers

6/28/2019 4:50 PM  #8

Hang in there old buddy! Maybe that eye will come around clear up and everything will be fine!
Richard

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

6/28/2019 11:31 PM  #9

Thanks Richard. The thing seems to get a tiny bit better every couple days now. I still have those big floaters but they are not near as dark now as they were a couple weeks ago. 

Big John

Will Rogers

Board footera