MLTSM  photo a3902f34-4bb9-4889-866b-d6c00914936d.jpgMuzzle loading target shooters Forums  photo bb9977a3-5847-47f4-ade3-17c1e6670c48.jpg http://prwarner.wix.com/mlts-masters Email mlts.masters@gmail.com

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/27/2014 9:14 AM  #1

Diamond Sight

I am curious about the "Diamond" rear sight? I ran across this on the chunk gun site and am always looking for some kind of advantage or imrovement of the typical rear sight plus I'm getting old enough that at times I have trouble with open sights especially when the light is less that REAL GOOD! 

After reading through the posts I gather that it has wide maybe shallow rear notch with a diamond cut throught the rear sight directly under the notch centered uo of course. Then one would place a bead front sight directly over the tip of the diamond and then center up on a bull. I'm looking for something to improve my open sight picture for light bench rest and squirrel rifle bench rest, Hopefully?

Richard 

One good shot doesn't make a match but one bad shot dang sure can ruin a match!

7/27/2014 9:59 AM  #2

Re: Diamond Sight

Richard,
I had never heard of a "diamond sight" until recently and had asked for some information. Based on what you are describing there may be some ranges that will dispute its use. It sounds like it could be taken for a disquised peep sight. 
Mark

7/27/2014 10:16 AM  #3

That is a concern too!

RB

7/27/2014 3:52 PM  #4

what you are probably talking about is the priamid rear sight paul griffith made. his last sight had a v notch filed in the top..where the diamond sight call came from is imagine another v notch  set on top of the first forming a diamond..that top piont of the diamond is where your bead should be floated..aka the diamond sight.. beware quite a few of the top shooters have tried it like paul did.they are having very erratic luck with it.  drives you crazy because you can see the sights and target so weell.it takes a ton of practice but works very well on failing  eyes. very very tight groups left to right but you can string like crazy.. welcome to floating the ball properly. well paul talked trash about hardly ever practicing .according to his wife he was always out in the yard practicing chunk he did things with targets and sights that are still driving people crazy trying to do what he did..bet that rascal is still smiling at us fools try to do what he did.he started making priamid sights up for the failing eye sight people to keep them shooting.as his illness progessed he realy started working on them so he could see to shoot.quite a few of the guys are putting the bead right on top of the sight and having very good luck .that is how i shot it for years and the guy who holds the 2 lowest chunk score gary test shoots it that way.it works . you need a set robin warner is making pauls sights now. i believe hje still has some originals .get ahold of him and he will fix you right up..this is his web sight
dag

Last edited by dag (7/27/2014 4:03 PM)

7/27/2014 6:43 PM  #5

Thanks for the reply dag. So I'm thinking that it's a pyramid with the top point of the pyramid cut off with a V notch filed into that? And then you would rest the ball of the front sight in that notch? I can see where something along those lines would work and shouldn't be out of the rule guide lines might raise a few eyebrows though, I like it! I think that I could use that without much problem as I have been experimenting with a floating front sight all year. Something on the order of a modified "Friendship Cheater". At times I can shoot it as well as peep sights if I have good light but that is the key for me anymore good light and I can stll do a fair job with open sights, poor light well not so good that's life I guess.

Richard

7/28/2014 12:00 AM  #6

Okay. Dummy here is totally confused and not picturing this at all! Extra credit for diagrams and/or photos!

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West
"Speed's fine, but accuracy's final." Bill Jordan

7/28/2014 7:38 AM  #7

I believe that Dag is correct. It's kind of odd that you bring this up just now, over on one of the other forums the same question was just recently raised, it about has to be the pyramid site. Also, once again dag is correct. Paul left me what sites he had made up in various stages of completion, and I have also been producing sites using Paul's designs and I might add, tinkering with a few of my own. If you like you can either email or PM me and we'll see if we can help you out at a point when I have just a little bit a time one evening this week. I will try to get a picture of this thing up. However, since it stopped raining and Indiana and I am in the construction, engineering & administration, business time has been of a premium. But fear not, if a pyramid are looking for. I have that ready to go.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

7/28/2014 11:20 AM  #8

It was on one of the other forums that I saw a reference to this forum and I wondered over here to check it out. If you could post a picture of one of the sights when you have time would be great. In the mean time I'm going to experiment a little and see what I can come up with myself.

Richard

7/28/2014 3:47 PM  #9

Kermit wrote:

Okay. Dummy here is totally confused and not picturing this at all! Extra credit for diagrams and/or photos!

hi kermit - i am a computer failure at posting  pictures on line  sights
send me your email and i will take picture of the sight and send  to you dagner49@charter.net

the rear sight is a triangle now cut the top off of it just like piture  on a dollar bill.you have a triangle with a flat top.now take a small triangular file and cut a small v noth in the flat top.their is your priamid or diamond sight   .draw  a line up each side leg  of the piramid toward the top. the lines will intersect above the top of sight.this forms a diamond opening.aka daimond sight you are supposed to float the ball front sight where the lines intersect. the top of diamond.what is great is you look at puting the ball on the piont and are not grinding your eyer strying to fine focus on the rear sight real easy on the eyes.paul and guys with very good eyes could  actually see the little fine pin of the ball sight  spliting the v .this sight is deadly for very tight left to right spead. the bead and v is deadly for small round meat shoot circle targets  & metal targets with your off hand gun .  worked great  bench /table shoot.

7/28/2014 3:51 PM  #10

rhbrink wrote:

It was on one of the other forums that I saw a reference to this forum and I wondered over here to check it out. If you could post a picture of one of the sights when you have time would be great. In the mean time I'm going to experiment a little and see what I can come up with myself.

Richard

hi you gouing over to the big table shoot at bloonsdale  mo at dew drop inn in sept will be their and have sights. i live right outside st louis mo in ill you want a picture email me at dagner49 @charter.net
dag 

Last edited by dag (7/28/2014 3:52 PM)

7/29/2014 10:42 AM  #11

Email sent, Dag. Thanks.

7/29/2014 2:47 PM  #12

kermit your email never came threw .please send again
got both syles of piramd ready to send to you.   my darm goat ropper email system  gives people fits by not recognising my adress   dagner49@charter.net

dag

7/29/2014 3:24 PM  #13

Ok, Kermit finally had a few extra minutes. This is not a real good pitcher but it should give you the idea

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.
Theodore Roosevelt
“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
John Wayne

7/29/2014 4:25 PM  #14

dag wrote:

rhbrink wrote:

Richard

hi you gouing over to the big table shoot at bloonsdale  mo at dew drop inn in sept will be their and have sights. i live right outside st louis mo in ill you want a picture email me at dagner49 @charter.net
dag 

I knew that there was a table shoot over that way but didn't know where do you have any info of dates and time? The first couple of weeks of September is really busy for me but maybe in the latter part I could go.

Richard

7/29/2014 5:03 PM  #15

Dag--I tried again. 

7/29/2014 5:09 PM  #16

MM-----  It's kind of making some almost kinda sorta something like sense to me now. Looks like a V-notch sight someone filed the corners off of. I can see where that might be easier. Use with a bead front, am I right? I'm on the road for a couple of weeks (family stuff), but when I get home I think I'll make a mock-up and peek at it a while and see what I think.

8/01/2014 6:42 AM  #17

I made one up out of a piece of flat stock and JB glued it to the back of an adjustable rear sight that I could easily mount on a barrel with existing screw holes. Yep! It's going to take a while to get the vertical adjustment right, horizonal was great. Not realizing it I accidently made the peaks of the triangle exactly the same width of the Lyman hooded front sight so they blended perfectly with the front sight hood and made it  hard to see and I think that I made the V  notch too wide. So I'll make another one probably with wider diamond and smaller V notch and try again. I really liked the sight picture on the target you sure can see more around the "bull" but it will take some practice to get used to.

RB

8/01/2014 11:45 AM  #18

Kermit wrote:

Dag--I tried again.

sorry kermit   one of our systems is refusing to except my email adress. this has happened before.
dag

8/01/2014 11:51 AM  #19

Kermit wrote:

MM----- It's kind of making some almost kinda sorta something like sense to me now. Looks like a V-notch sight someone filed the corners off of. I can see where that might be easier. Use with a bead front, am I right? I'm on the road for a couple of weeks (family stuff), but when I get home I think I'll make a mock-up and peek at it a while and see what I think.

you got it kermit.just dont make the notch to small .you want thew bead to be forced to stay on top..095 drizts  fabric store platic ball headed pin on a 48 inch chunk barrel is what most use . for the table gun or off hand   they use the 3/32  0r 1/8  ball sight from ideal -lyman or marble.  one of them makes a narrow blade with the ball on top.thats the best one.

8/01/2014 11:54 AM  #20

rhbrink wrote:

I made one up out of a piece of flat stock and JB glued it to the back of an adjustable rear sight that I could easily mount on a barrel with existing screw holes. Yep! It's going to take a while to get the vertical adjustment right, horizonal was great. Not realizing it I accidently made the peaks of the triangle exactly the same width of the Lyman hooded front sight so they blended perfectly with the front sight hood and made it  hard to see and I think that I made the V  notch too wide. So I'll make another one probably with wider diamond and smaller V notch and try again. I really liked the sight picture on the target you sure can see more around the "bull" but it will take some practice to get used to.
way to go -like your idea

RB

8/10/2014 10:22 PM  #21

Just to clarify.  Is the Diamond Sight legal under the NMLRA 5020 Rule?  And I'll admit, I've never seen anything like this before in 40 years of muzzle loading.

5020–OPEN REAR SIGHT–All rear open sights must be at least six inches
forward of the breech end of the barrel. They must have a U, V, or rectangular
opening, as wide at the top as any part of the notch. A buckhorn sight is legal
provided the horns have a minimum of 1/4-inch opening at the top. Sun shades
may or may not be permitted, as specified in the match program.
Fixed rear open sights may have no mechanical means of adjusting the elevation or windage, and therefore are non-adjustable in nature.
Adjustable rear open sights may have a mechanical means of adjusting elevation and windage.

Joe

8/10/2014 10:45 PM  #22

yes it is .has been shot for over 1 1/2 years at friendship. paul griffith told me he had it ruled opn .. all it is is a v notched  open top sight    .guy on the shooting committe  -range officer  and board member i believe  all shoot it  
dave brandenberger won york over 10 years ago with the almost same sight .it was a narrow tall rectangle with a v notch on top. he also shot it several years off and on at friendship.

Last edited by dag (8/10/2014 11:07 PM)

8/11/2014 6:16 AM  #23

Thanks dag.

Joe

Board footera